24 March 2012

Custom Darjeeling Chest


I am in love with Wes Anderson movies - with their imaginative images, bright colorful backgrounds, and kooky characters they are tantalizing to my senses, and always unpredictable! The vintage Louis Vuitton luggage custom-made for Darjeeling Limited, completely stole the show -- and was a character in of itself throughout the film.  This had me itching to recreate its funky pattern, which turned out to be quite easy.  Talk about a silly DIY project, with great, useful results!  I just sanded down my antique chest (which I found at an antiques shop just downstairs from my flat & had the guy replace the faulty lock), printed out some stencils I found online, and then spray painted those little critters onto my box (using primer first for the colored ones).  Now I'm 1 piece of custom luggage down, 13 to go!

I cannot wait to see Wes Anderson's newest movie this year Moonrise Kingdom.  I'm sure they'll be many more great images and props that will inspire!